Monday, June 9, 2008

Sister Henson-Toto, I don't think were in Kansas anymore

Mom,
Will you do me a favor and look for my mission call? I want to make sure I was really called to Nebraska, not Oz. We have battled the elements this week and I’m scared they may have won. We have been on the watch all week for tornados. They ripped through an area just southeast of us and just to the west earlier this week. In fact, it took off part of an Elders roof. He was standing outside watching the storm and the Spirit told him to get inside. The moment he got in, part of the roof came off and landed right where he was standing. He may not have been smart enough to stay inside during a storm, but at least he was smart enough to listen to the Spirit!
We had quite an experience Sunday morning. With all this talk of tornados, Elder Chipman (the Trail Center director) and I put together a protocol. Did I mention last week that I am the Trail Center Trainer this transfer along with Sister Street? Anyway, we decided that if the sirens went off that we would come up to the trail center and go into the shelter that is here. Sunday morning, around 2:30am, I awoke to a slightly frightened Sister Hansen. “Are those the tornado sirens?” she asked. The sound I was hearing finally registered and I jumped out of bed. I have never moved so fast and felt so alert, thank you Spirit. We ran and got all of the other Sisters up (there are eight others who live in our apartments) and booked it to the Trail Center. It was pouring rain, the lightning and winds were insane. We were drenched by the time we got to the Trail Center. We started by sitting in the tunnel but quickly got bored. We ended up watching part of a movie in the theater in the basement until we got the all clear to go home. We didn’t get home until about 4am. It was quite the adventure. The tornado and winds did some decent damage but it actually wasn’t that close to us. It did hit part of our area but all our members were safe. I attribute our safety to the red shoes you sent me Mom. Someone teased me about being Dorothy but they sure came in handy ;)
Other than that, we met some new great people this week. We were out in an area that we don’t go to very often because it’s mostly businesses. Our appointment and back ups fell through so we started looking around. At the same time, Sister Hansen and I both saw the same small apartment building. It’s probably the only one I haven’t tracted. We decided to go try it, mind you, it’s 10:30am, not the greatest time to go out finding. We had faith, and the third door we knocked on we found Jonathan Lawler. He’s 19 and works at the zoo driving the tram! We started talking about his Church, he’s Lutheran and he made the comment, “I just don’t know which of all the sects I should go to, there are so many.” Sound familiar?! Sister Hansen piped right up and said, “Funny you should say that, Joseph Smith had the same question.” We then proceeded to teach him about the Restoration and he became a new investigator. He’s such a neat, normal, cool guy. The Lord is so good to us.
Everyone is doing very well. Will received the Priesthood on Sunday and is preparing to pass/bless the Sacrament. Anna and I believe a few of the other recent converts will be attending the Temple this weekend to do baptisms for the dead. I’m so excited for them. It’s always such an incredible experience to see them there.
Sister Hansen is just great. She is quite the scriptorian so I am learning so much from her. We have had some great companionship studies.
The Trail Center is getting so busy so we are loosing much of our time in the field. I really don’t mind too much because the Lord always finds a way to magnify our efforts and we see miracles. I’ve found that as long as I’m diligent, both in the Trail Center and the field, the Lord makes up the difference. Amazing how the Atonement works even in missionary work.
Well, I'm sorry I've got to run. We've got a busy day ahead of us. Thanks for your prayers and love!
Love, Sister Henson

0 comments: