Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sister Henson-Oh the anticipation!

And now.... the moment you've all been waiting for.... dun-dun-da-daaa! I survived! I am still in Winter Quarters! hahaha! Sister Moore was transferred to the Singles Ward out in Lincoln, NE. She was really excited to go, hopefully not because it meant getting away from me. My new companion is- get this- Sister Hansen! Yeah, President Newman said that it would be a good conversation piece, and it has. She is from Lynchburg, Virginia, she's 22 and 5'9, not sure why I threw in her height, but I thought it would help with a visual. She is so sweet, mild and a powerful teacher. I guess I didn't learn my lesson with my last companion, and the Lord is giving me another shot at developing and cultivating the qualities of meekness and mildness. She's great though and we're having a great time already. She also cooks healthy food, I might actually NOT gain weight this transfer. I won't get my hopes up though :)
It was also nice to start off the transfer with three baptisms! They all went through this week and were amazing. Will, former athiest, was baptized on Thursday, the 29th. There was a great ward turnout and just a great spirit there. He is so solid it's amazing. I've never met someone who was hungering and thirsting for the Gospel like he has. He is also already doing missionary work with his friends. He has been talking to all of them about the Gospel. In fact, he got in a pretty heated debate with one of his friends about Joseph Smith. One of the problems with kids these days is a tv show called South Park. They have done a couple really bad episodes that I have to deal with all the time. Will's friend Eric was bringing it up and saying that the show was really true. Will's logic completely confounded him. Will said that either Joseph Smith was telling the truth or making it all up. If he was making it up, then these other versions (like from South Park) can't be true because they are based on fiction. But if it's true, then what Joseph Smith said was really how it happened. So either way, all of the other versions, or side stories or myths, can't be true. Eric stopped arguing after that. I love that the Gospel is as logical as it is spiritual in nature. I really hope that last sentence made sense.
Justin and Anna's baptism was really nice. She was just glowing. I have seen a confidence and light come to her as she has been progressing and making friends. It's amazing to see how the Gospel fills so many needs and voids in peoples lives. I always knew that it did, but it's just great to actually see it happen in others lives as well as my own. Justin and Will are preparing now to receive the Priesthood so they can go to the temple and receive callings. They are both excited to be home teachers. Matt Young was also called to be a ward missionary this last week. He is going to start teaching us the lessons from Preach My Gospel to prepare for it. This will also count as his new member lessons. When Dustin Dryden, our ward mission leader, started to explain what a ward missionary does, I think all the big church words started to confuse him. He stopped Dustin and said "So, I'm just suppose to be people's friend, right?" I had to laugh. He has a desire to serve but is still figuring out how this whole thing works. I forget sometimes that it is a complete culture in itself.
I also wanted to mention one of my other favorite Sisters, though she is not my companion, Sister McKee. She is rubbing my shoulders and tickling my back as I write this. I love her.
One of my favorite teaching moments this week was with a girl named Shenita. She is young and has a 2 year old named Antonio. They are from Atlanta, Georgia and she has grown up baptist. We met her a couple weeks ago and were not able to catch her again until Friday. After we taught her the Restoration she grabbed the Book of Mormon with excitement and said "I'm going to read this and pray about it every night until you come back." She is so sweet.
One more quick story. Yesterday morning as we were serving at the Trail Center a man walked in and looked around like he was lost. I started talking to him and telling him what we have at the Trail Center. After I was done he said "Well, what if I don't really want to learn about the Pioneers, just the Church?" "Well," I answered,"I can take care of that." He didn't have too much time so I taught him about the Book of Mormon and gave him a copy. We got his information and promised to send him missionaries. He was so open and prepared. I wish I could be the one to teach him but I guess other missionaries need the great experiences that I'm having.
Anyway, I've got to run. Thanks for your prayers, I can feel them. I'm sure that they kept me sane last week as I awaited transfers. I love you!
Love, Sister Henson

0 comments: