Wednesday, April 20, 2011

calling all woah-men

Hope-I want a natural birth. My dream delivery story would be a water birth at home with a midwife.

Problem-my insurance won't cover midwifes, Birthing Centers, etc...

I feel strongly about doing a natural child birth.
I feel strongly about Hypno-birthing.
I also feel strongly about a water birth.

None of these things are covered. If I want any of these things, I will have to pay for them myself.

I know that I have the option of going to the hospital to have my baby and just passing on the epidural but I'm quickly learning that once your in the grips of those nurses and docs, you almost have no say in what happens with your body/birth.
A lot of these "necessary" interventions such as Pitocin, really aren't necessary 95% of the time. It just speeds things up for the hospitals timeline so they can get you in and out asap in order for another woman to take your place.
Hospitals are a business and they're goal is to make money.


Okay, wow...


I need to calm down.

Please watch The Business of Being Born if you want to know exactly what I'm talking about. It's on Netflix. If you want, we can even have a party at my house and watch it together. We can all dress up like babies too.


This is my cry for help.

I know I am still in the early early stages of pregnancy but I want to start planning now.
Most women that I have spoken with have only gone through the "traditional" labor so I don't know a lot about the kind of birth I want and how possible that is in the county of Utah.

If you or anyone you know has done a home birth, water birth, natural birth, Hypno-birthing, used midwives, Doualas, etc., please let me know!

I'm thinking that it might come down to money and that I'll have to just suck it up and use a regular doctor but I still want to know if there are any docs out there who are willing to work around your birth plan and who are willing to listen to what you want.

PLEASE. I'M BEGGING.

Right now I have an appointment with the group of doctors at Utah Valley Obstetrics. Dr. Wolsey, Rees, Gamette, Thorpe, Jacobs, Broeberg, etc.
When I spoke to the nurse on the phone, I got the feeling that she wasn't so keen the idea of natural anything.
Does anyone have experience with these peeps?

I need your help!

13 comments:

Jodi said...

Dr. Gamette was my GYN. I went through a few doctors before him but he was my fav. I know there are a lot of doctors in that place and from what I understand they all see pretty different and have different opinions about stuff like that but something about Dr G makes me think he would be cool with this. He sat me down in his office once and told me this big story about how birth control works, and he even used the toys on his desk to play out the roles of the ovaries.

Also my mom wanted to get a hysterectomy a while back and she went to him and he was like no no your parts are way too good to be taken out so they talked about other ways to do it instead.

So yeah I think he'll hear you out about this. I liked him.

Now I'm gonna go watch that movie on Netflix.

Ana Steinagel said...

Hey coke. So, Addison's cousin, BreeAnna is very much into natural birth and at home. She knows so much stuff about it. She's going to be having her 2nd this September. Right now she's living in Kansas, but when she was looking for midwife over there she was telling me how much easier that stuff is in Utah. She has someone that she recommended highly. If you want, I can get you guys in touch with each other. She's super sweet and I know that she'd love to give you some information. Who she thinks is a great midwife, techniques that's she's tried before that that she's trying this time too. Text me or call me if you want to get in touch with her.

Natasha said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so happy for you!
Two of my neighbors (and good friends) did at home births with midwifes, they LOVED it. This is one of their blog posts about how it went: http://somersfamilyest2002.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html
First births are a little bit scarier, you don't quite know how your body will handle it, but if your mama had easier births then you prob will too. (I pushed a nine pound, huge headed kid out of my croch for about four hours with a no epidural (I wanted one but it didn't work), it was so so awful...but then he came and all was forgotten and I was in heaven.)
Good luck! You are a tough cookie and I am so excited for you!!

Natasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natasha said...

http://somersfamilyest2002.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html

sorry, this link should work

Clancy and Katie Black said...

Sorry if you don't even remember me from highschool but I thought I could help- these are my neighbors in Provo and it seems like they were able to do exactly what you want to do-it's a long post but has some good info and I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked them questions...here is their blog

http://seanandmeganmurphy.blogspot.com/

congrats on the pregnancy!
oh and also I just had a baby with valley ob and they are good but I think the really hard part would be that you see all of the drs and don't know exactly which one will be delivering your baby so it's hard for them to get to know you and you to get to know them.

.From Her. said...

Hey home girl.

I don't live in Utah, and know nothing about Dr's there.

BUT, I am a certified hypno-babies doula; and I specifically work with Mom's that can only/want to deliver in the hospital...

SO, you CAN do it!!!!!! Even if you "have to" go to the hospital. You can still have an un-medicated birth. I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!

You go girl. You go.

Chelsea Lynn said...

I will forever think you are the toughest woman alive!! My doc was pretty old school, and was very sweet, he had talked to me about both options, but i was already set on getting an epidural.. I unfortunately watched the worst at home water birth on youtube and was scarred for life! haha they cut up and ate the placenta right after, she was playing random music in the background(pretty sure one of the songs was a fergie song, no joke) Her previous kids were in the room running around, and her and her husband were naked. It also looked painful. haha you can dooo it!! love you! :)

JAC, RUSS, ADDI AND PEY said...

Hey, Congrats you guys!! How exciting! You are going to be AWESOME parents!!

As far as Vally OB, Rees was my OBGYN, and I must say I LOVED him!! Seriously going to him for ALL my pregnancies! Someone already said this, but they do rotate shifts at the hospital, so you never really know WHO will be delivering you. (Had Rees but wasn't delivered by him. Honestly, I didn't care... LOL Just wanted my baby out!)

As far as the drugs go, that is ALL you!! They asked me if an epidural was what I wanted. You actually do have A LOT of say in the delivery room. Just have to know WHAT to say and to whom. As far as Natural, YOU GO GIRL!! Mine was until the VERY end (not that I wanted it to be, Epidural just didn't work.) Amanda (Davis) Coombs had her last natural, not sure who she went through but I am sure she could give you any info you may need as well.

Best of luck to ya!! And I am SOOO happy to hear that it FINALLY happened for ya! (I know it was a long time coming) :)

Hannah S said...

Hey Courtney! I am glad you decided to go with the midwives at Orem. I delivered all 3 of my kiddos there w/them and loved it. There facilities are great and one advantage that I love over the other hospitals (other than going through the CNM's) is that you don't have to switch rooms after laboring/delivering. You get to stay in the same place and there's a nice whirlpool tub and couch/fold out bed for the hubby too. I could go on and on and on. Here is a post about here http://stoehrs.blogspot.com/2010/01/birth-story.html
I delivered all 3 naturally, 1 while on pitocin. We took the hypno-birthing class with the first and used some of the techniques with all of them. If you have ANY questions about any of it, call, text or email me. I LOVE the subject.

Steffen'effer said...

Only

mandersue said...

I don't know if your still needing opinions, but I used Valley OB & loved it!!! I'm actually really sad that i don't get to use them with baby #2. You have all the say in wether you want an epidural & I think all the doctors are great. There are alot of them, but they keep good notes in the charts and it seemed to me they were mostly all on the same page! I ended up having to have a c-section that wasn't emergency but had to be done quickly to stop peytons heart rate from dropping, so im not much help on the drugs.

The Morrows said...

I have a friend that just had a water birth in May. He was over 8LBS. You can do it! She went to Bella Natal. http://www.bellabirthsuites.com/