Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sister Henson- One more in the Kingdom

Hello family,

Is it preparation day already? Seriously, where does the week go? Well, we survived another transfer. Sister Moore and I are still together and in the Winter Quarters singles ward! Things are doing great here. Matt Young was baptized on Sunday and it was such a great experience. Actually pretty funny too. Matt is a pretty tall guy, and he asked kind of a shorter guy in the ward, Ryan Hardy, to baptize him. We also happen to have a new ward mission leader, Dustin Dryden, who is new at this whole filling the font thing. Have you guessed what happened yet?! Ryan had to dunk Matt three times to get him all the way under because of the awkwardness and low water levels! After each time, Matt looked up at the witnesses to see if it was ok and would laugh when they would shake their heads no. Things like this happen, I’m just glad that it happened to Matt as opposed to some of our other investigators. He took it fine and it didn’t detract from the Spirit that was felt there. The ward was really supportive and the Bishop was so excited. He is new to being a Bishop so this is his first experience with having new converts.
Trever and Justin are doing well. They both will be baptized this weekend if they continue to kick the cigarettes. They have been doing great so far this week. Freido is also doing well. He came to the baptism and said he was very inspired by what he saw. He is just devouring the Gospel.
Last Friday, for my year mark, I wanted to do something fun or exciting. Since we don’t hold to the “wicked traditions of our Fathers” and burn ties or clothing like missionaries in the past would do on such occasions, I was left to my own devices. I caught wind of a district of Elders who were going soap-boxing and I had to join! Soap-boxing is when you go to a busy area, we went downtown to a big shopping and restaurant area, and stand on the corner and preach, sing songs and try to make contact with as many people as you can. Usually, one missionary stands on a box and begins to testify while the other missionaries stand close by and talk to people as they pass by. It was so much fun and such a great experience for many reasons. First, just being around a bunch of bold missionaries really boosts your Spirit. Taking an opportunity to show that I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ was invigorating. I think it was also a great opportunity for Sister Moore to really get out of her comfort zone. For once, she was left to talk to people, more or less, by herself. She couldn’t rely on anyone else to stop people and offer them an opportunity to hear about the Gospel. She is growing so much, I’m so proud of her. I met some really great people and had some inspired conversations. Several new investigators were found that night. I think it may become a tradition. Friday nights are a little tricky in a singles ward, everyone is usually out on dates, members and investigators alike. The ward heard that we had gone and many of them say they are going to be there this next Friday. What a great way to unify members and missionaries!
We did have one sad thing happen this week, however, I was taught a great lesson. There is an investigator named Zach that we have been teaching on and off for the last transfer or so. He hasn’t been good about keeping appointments or reading assignments but he had come to church so I was hopeful. We went to see him yesterday and he basically said that he didn’t want to do all the things that were required in the Church. He seemed particularly concerned about spending three hours at Church on Sunday and having to live the word of wisdom. He said that he was just content with where he was at, but also admitted that he wasn’t happy. I bore my testimony that true, lasting happiness is found when we follow the commandments. That when we have a relationship with our Heavenly Father and learn to have faith in His Son, Jesus Christ, then we find a support and a peace that surpasses any trial or tribulation. We did our best to give him a glimpse of our eternal perspectives, that this life has a purpose. He said he just wanted to hunt and fish on Sundays. The kicker came when he asked if I would call him after my mission was over so that we could go on a date. I fought to keep my eyes from rolling and my tongue from saying something sarcastic and possibly unkind. I answered with this, “To be honest, no. I don’t want to date someone who doesn’t know what it means to sacrifice. Who can’t give three hours to the Lord on Sunday when He has given us our lives. I want someone who understands what it means to love God more than you love yourself and be able to happily live unselfishly.” I knew I was being really bold but I felt like it needed to be said. I hope that something stuck with him. He promised that he would continue to pray and would turn back to the Book of Mormon when he was ready to do more with his life. I know that sacrifice is a true principle. Elder Jensen said that sacrifice is what builds our faith. The funny thing about sacrifice, is that it is really an investment, because we are always blessed for doing it. So it’s really not a sacrifice after all.
Anyway, I’ll get off my soapbox and save it for Friday ;) Thanks for all your prayers. I love you all and pray that you too have great missionary opportunities!
Love, Sister Henson

0 comments: