Monday, April 14, 2008

Sister Henson-I'm getting old!

Dear family,
My time is short today so I’ll try to make it sweet. We had an incredible week. It started off with a bang as we taught like crazy with our members. They are so great. They go to work, they go to school, and they take time out of their busy “free-time” to go out with us. The Lord is blessing the area for their sacrifice right now. I just love them. On Thursday we had our Zone Conference with Elder Marlin K. Jensen. It was amazing to sit under the sound of President Newman and a member of the Seventy dictate to us the desires of our Heavenly Father for this mission. I received answers to questions I had about how I could be a better missionary and how I could better progress those that we are teaching. I have already seen great success as we have applied the things taught.
By far, the greatest blessing this week was seeing Keith baptized on Saturday. We saw great support from the members and I could see how loved Keith felt. I asked him afterwards how he felt and he said “Different.” He then went on to say, “The lights seem brighter in here… everything seems brighter.” After his confirmation on Sunday, I asked him the same question. His answer this time was that he couldn’t quite describe how he felt. I can relate to that, I still can’t figure out how the Spirit really feels. It seems to be different every time. As I sat during the baptism as Elder Reynolds gave a talk on the Holy Ghost, I felt a great surge of charity and love for Keith. One of the greatest blessings, in my opinion, of being a missionary, is that Heavenly Father allows you to feel a portion of the love that He has for His children. It’s only a portion, and it’s overwhelming. I can’t begin to comprehend fully the love that He has for us.
Trever and Justin are still doing well but smoking is getting the best of them right now. We’ve been teaching them a lot about faith and the Atonement to help them overcome it. They are both feeling disappointed that they haven’t quit yet, and it’s really effecting their faith. They are scheduled to be baptized the end of the month, my faith says that they will be ready and clean.
Matt Young is doing great. He loved church yesterday and is coming to the Trail Center tonight with Kile, one of our members. He is still scheduled to be baptized this next Sunday, I don’t foresee any problems. He is already living the word of wisdom, which proves to be the biggest obstacle here in Nebraska.
Freido is more prepared than I thought. It is absolutely incredible to see the ways that the Lord has prepared him to receive the Gospel. The topic of the Trinity came up yesterday and I was anticipating some resistance, due to his Catholic background. That was not the case. Apparently, he studied with a couple Jehovah’s Witnesses some years back and that was one of the subjects that they intensely studied. Through that experience he gained a witness that our Heavenly Father, His Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are truly three distinct beings. I gained a new appreciation for our friends of other faiths ;)
I’m sorry that this is short. This week is transfers. I don’t anticipate any changes in the companionship… so don’t worry. I also hit my year mark on Friday. AHHHHH! The only reason I remind you is to call some of you to repentance ;) I will return home someday, and when you see me, I don’t want you to feel regret or remorse for not having written me more often or sending me a package. I remind you of this for your own welfare. Plus, if you are in need of blessings, the Lord always blesses those that serve missionaries. That is a true principle. Don’t believe it? Then try it… prove the Lord ;)
Haha. Well, I love you guys. Thanks for your prayers and support. We are going after the Mission of Excellence again in a couple of weeks so get ready to pray your guts out!
Love, Sister Henson

0 comments: