Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Short Thoughts

Since having this new hair, or lack of, I have noticed some things.
When I get ready for the day, 5 times out of ten have to change outfits because that particular choice doesn't go with short hair. Like today. I started off wearing a sweater vest. A month ago it would have looked fine because the length of my hair made me look fun and carefree and that counteracted the business style of the vest. Now the short do' just adds to the business style and I can't look too professional cause than I just look uptight.

Second and biggest observation I have noticed is how every single man has reacted to my hair. I have been confronted by many men at work that decide it's their civic duty to tell me that they liked my long hair better...why? Why men, why?! All of a sudden they have an opinion?
How am I supposed to respond when they tell me this?

Thanks? I'll start growing out again? Sorry that I disappointed you?
It's just a phase I'm going through?
I just end up just getting mad because for a second I feel like I have to explain myself to them. I hate explaining my actions to people. So...naturally this gets me thinking. Why do men like long hair so much? This is my theory...
When men think of their ideal woman, they think of a young woman. Young woman are girls in high school. Most high school girls have long hair. High school girls are fun, spontaneous, and peppy. Woman, if they decide cut their hair, it's once they have a family and children. Things start to slow down in the fun, and spontaneous area.
long hair=young, peppy
short hair=old, boring
So now, when men tell me that they liked my hair better when it was long, I just get creeped out because what they're really thinking is, "Man, I really like high school girls."

Last observation. Having long hair doesn't mean it looks good on you. Woman get caught up in thinking that they have to have long hair to be pretty and feminine. Not the case. If you have the right style that frames and flatters your face, it will make you look better than long hair ever could. I think maybe woman have the same thought as men. They need to keep their long hair cause that's what they had in high school and that's when they looked their best.

People change! Your hair should too!

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

haha! I love your blog. I agree that if someone finds the right style short hair is cuter on them than long hair in the wrong style. I am looking for a short hairstyle right now, but I haven't found anything I love. When I find it, though, my long tresses will be gone.

PS I leave in 10 days wanna do something before I go?

PSS this says Jeremy but it is Maggie

Tawny said...

haha! Guys are so tacky/annoying. i like your theory, probably because i've had short hair my whole life. :) but ya, men and long hair, i don't get it either.

Taylor and Mackenzie Nelson said...

I do love your blog! I too chopped my hair off last month and agree that hair doesn't have to be long to make a woman feel sexy. I cut my hair because I needed a change and also because I'm prego and just got the urge to do something different. I started to wonder though if I was giving into the "mom" syndrom like you were talking about, where the young school girls get older and then cut their hair and become "older" but then I realized, "No, it doesn't have to be like that at all!" I just want short hair and it IS sexy! Haha there's my two cents. Sorry it was so long. :)

-Mackenzie

Megs said...

I just flat out have issues with random people who form opinions about my physical appearance and feel the need to inform me of them. Who asked them?!

Ali said...

thank you for putting into words how i feel about my short hair everyday! youre totally right about the guys and liking the long hair better, and i get freaked out too. like oh... what? why are you even looking at me?