Monday, August 31, 2009

Selfless

I have a new found respect for working mothers. I have taken for granted all of those precious minutes every morning that I take to get ready. Every hour to myself reading. Every bathroom trip and every quiet second to reflect. Tyler and I have been baby sitting his four cousins for the past five days. I have not and will not be taking any days off. So for now, I am a working mom. It's draining.
I actually look forward to going to work so I can have a few hours to think. But. When I'm at work, I just want to be back with the kids. We have 9 days to go. Never have I been more emotionally, mentally and physically exhausted in my life. The kids aren't even hard. It's probably more in my head than anything. Worrying about if they will make it to school on time, keeping their bellies full, their faces smiling and most of all, keeping them alive.

This experience has also shed some light on the man I though I knew...

We have been together 5 years. In this small window of time, I thought I really knew him. What makes him happy, mad, sad etc. There is always something to learn. From the very first day, I noticed a change in Tyler.

He is the happiest I have ever seen him.

When one child is crying, one child is yelling and the other two are making the Tazmanian Devil look like a little lamb, Tyler is smiling his perfect smile and laughing his contagious, squinty-eyed laugh.

I don't get it.

He should be stressed out, pulling his hair out, curled up in a corner. Stressed.

Not Tyler.

He always seems to find the perfect thing to say to help each and every situation. The kids love him and he loves them. It's hard NOT to notice.

I sit back and watch him be him.


My chambered heart bursts with love.

5 comments:

Chelsea Lynn said...

Thanks for making me cry. haha Wish I could see tyler in action! ;) and it took me two days to realize there was an s on the end of hugger!

Anonymous said...

[clicking "like"]

The Kessler's said...

I know. I noticed when I was there with him for like 20 minutes. Cute Tyler.

Jennie said...

I take it you are watching the Knell kids. We got to do that a few times. It is a good learning experience. Gretchen would always come home and say, remember they come one at a time (usually). It was hard going from no kids to four. And it is fun to see the husband in action.

Hannah S said...

Abe's kids? Crazy bunch, full of energy, I mean. Great practice for you guys though. I am not a selfless mother though. I believe in being a bit selfish, otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here blogging and leaving comments, ha. I do need to practice enjoying motherhood more though. That's great that you and Tyler had a good experience too and that he did so well with people who aren't even his very own (though blood related they are a bit, I suppose). But still, you know what i mean, right?