Friday, April 2, 2010

Who needs college when you have a mind like mine?

Does this ever happen to you?

You see someone in real life that you blog-stalk daily. You possibly went to high school with them but were in different social groups or maybe you know them through a friend. If they saw you, they would more than likely recognize you too.
Through following their blog, you know everything about them. You know what their new house, husband or baby looks like. You know that yesterday, they had a really bad day or how fat they think they are. After a few months of stalking, you feel like you're really getting a sense of this person/people and maybe even want to be their friend in the real world. Or even creepier, you want their husband and your husband to be friends.
So there you are at the store/mall/restaurant, you see them, they see you. You know each other well enough from high school or mutual friend to both say Hi but...uhh then what? You can't exactly start jabbering on about their latest trip to the Ocean because you will probably get maced in the face. But you can't exactly fake not knowing them because that's lying. And chances are they read your blog too and you both know that you read each other's blog. Double crap.
Neither one of you can be the vulnerable one by trying to awkwardly jump start the convo so you just end up standing there for a few seconds before saying, "It was good to see you!" with a big fake, dry mouthed smile and then go home in anticipation for their next post.

Am I too bold to say that blogs might be ruining lives and making our anti-social society even MORE anti-social? Or maybe, I'm just ultra creepy.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not alone. I really hate seeing people that I semi-know in public. I don't know why I make it into such an awkward situation since all I have to do is say hi, but I always quickly turn away or pretend to be on my phone or something. Why can't I just say hi to someone??

Jodi said...

Remember that time we ran into each other at the mall and since our husbands work together they talked for a while and I just stared at you like the creeper I am when really I wanted to be like "OMG when do you guys move into the house?!"

This blog you wrote is something I think about daily. Thank you for calling everyone out on it, because we all do it, and next time I see you somewhere, we will talk, because you know that I don't like it when my shirts are too tight you can see my belly button and I know that you are funny and have a house and throw sweet baby showers.

Friends?

Courtney J said...

Ha ha ha Jodi, that moment was exactly what was on my mind when I wrote this. Friends. In real life.

M said...

An aunt of a good friend saw me at Costco and came up to me while I was loading my groceries into the car, her husband awkwardly stood back while she came up and introduced herself and gave me a hug. For about two weeks I debated whether to go private. Of course, I'm guilty of seeing people and bringing up their blogs to start conversations too. :D Point is, Great Post! and you really can throw a great shower!

Ali said...

this is genius

Megs said...

I own it. My social circle is small, so I have no choice but to be anything but a stalker.

Tawny said...

hhhhhhaaaaaa!

samantha said...

hahahah oh you you are such a hoot. This is so true. Blog stalking leads me to believe i have a great social life because i know all about whats going on in others lives, I then remember that the last time i actually saw actual people face to face was in most cases years ago and then i realize my social life is, beyond the computer, pretty non existant. Sad. but that only adds to the stalking. Ill have a social life one way or the other i guess. even if the other people dont even know about it.

The Kessler's said...

I've come across this problem quite a big, but I don't care to talk to people I stalk in person. I would just like to know if they stalk me too. No boring conversations necessary. I can't stand still that long. All I need is, Hi I'm Megan. I stalk you. Do you stalk me? K bye.

Jessica said...

I totally agree!! I have even had that happen where I see people at the mall or a restaurant and see someone who has no idea who I am, but yet I know all about them through my blog stalking. Then I feel all awkward. I must admit though, I do enjoy blog stalking!

cdahl said...

hahaha spot on! sometimes i say, "i saw your blog the other day and..." it breaks the ice. i even think i've said that to you hahaha