Friday, December 4, 2009

99% of the time it works every time

363 days a year I sleep through the night like a rock. The few times when I do wake up, it's either because of some object I'm laying on, or a weird dream. Last night, it was the WEIRDEST object.

I have a dog who likes to hide things. He loves stealing treasures and "hiding" them for a later date. Countless times I have found Chocolates in corners and under clothes that have been thrown on the floor. He places them there and then he "buries" them the way dogs do when they bury bones in the backyard. Although the carpet doesn't move and the candy stays in plain sight, Toben feels it's secure and undetectable.
What amazes me the most is that this tiny ravenous dog has enough self control to hold him self back from tearing into these treats at that very moment. I like to think he has an eternal perspective on things like this.
Last night I wake up feeling this strange object. Sit up, pull object from sheets, keep eyes closed cause it's pitch black and there's no point in opening them, smell object, realize it's a cookie, think about how sad Toben will be when he returns for dessert and has to go to bed hungry, smile at that scenario playing out in real life, and go back to sleep.

Next night. I am on my knees in front of the couch(this is starting to sound dirty) at eye level with Toben trying to accomplish the nightly task of annoying him. Then he stops. I stop. He has his eyes set on something. He dives into the corner of the couch and pulls out ANOTHER COOKIE! Really? REALLY? Me and Ty are dying laughing as we're trying to get a picture of this steadfast dog teething, yet so delicately clamping down on this cookie as to not crush it.

I'm not even mad.

1 comments:

Ali said...

hahahahaa. this is the best story.