Thursday, October 22, 2009

I don't know about you but..

I miss the Spice Girls.
I miss Hanson.


I miss being 12. Except for chubby part. I miss my whole existence revolving around what was going on with these two groups. Watching VH1 all day so I could make sure I saw EVERY SINGLE time their music videos played.Then getting so upset when their videos lost the #1 spot to Paula Cole or Shawn Colvin.





I was in love with Zach the drummer of Hanson. I had convinced myself that if he were to ever meet me, my love would be reciprocated. There was a girl that went to Westridge that was 2 or 3 years younger than us. Me and my friend Michelle Schofield thought she looked just like Zach. Of course we told her. What self respecting 10 year old girl wouldn't want to look like a 12 year old boy? She really hated us. We would chase her all over during recess and ask her dumb questions about dumb things. She really really hated us.





I was also obsessed with Posh Spice. She was perfection in my eyes. When my cousin and I would play Spice Girls, we would fight over who could be Posh. I knew that I was the more loyal fan so I deserved the role of Posh. Her signature pose. Arm extended pointing a sideways gun. Oh yea. I had that down.


Although I was 14 inches shorter and 30 pounds heavier, I felt her spirit burning inside me.





Albertson's trips always ended in the same fashion. Me and Dad in the magazine isle. He with his Airplanes and I with my Tiger Beat. Posters plastered every inch of my wall. In case you're wondering. Yes. I did kiss the posters of Zach. Which is a totally normal thing to do.
Totally.
Not once did my mom tell me how big of an idiot for crying when I saw them on TV I was or how annoyed she was of hearing their cds on repeat in her bedroom through our shared vent. She just let me be simple minded and happy.

I can still sing anyone of their songs by heart.



Although I would NEVER ever go back.
I miss the simple days of good music, Kiwi lip gloss and huge yellow Tommy shirts.


7 comments:

Natalie said...

Haha. I love this post! I totally remember the posters all over your bedroom walls! So funny!

Anonymous said...

I love it. My favorite was Ginger Spice. I saw their movie in the theater for my friend's birthday and thought it was amazing.

samantha said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAH i nearly died when i read about you following around the zach girl and asking her stupid questions hahahahahaha
AND WE BOTH KNOW I WAS THE TRUE WANABE POSH!

Jodi said...

We're soo over those guys...now we've moved onto edward and jacob? hahahahah

And rightfully so...I mean it's Edward :)

Megs said...

I think I laughed the hardest at the Albertson's reference and yellow Tommy t-shirt. I was so much cooler in my WIDE leg jeans and mom hair cut. I had to be a closet Hansen and Spice Girls fan.

Ana Steinagel said...

SCARY SPICE was my alter ego. :D. Sorry to say I really didn't understand Hansen and why everyone loved them. They looked like girls. But to this day I can confidently identify which Backstreet Boy is singing during their songs.

Jodi said...

Courtney,

I recently discovered your blog and I can't help but say something about this post. I too loved Hanson. Taylor was my favorite. One day when I was sick I stayed home from school and watched a Hanson Christmas video they had out. I also watched the Spice Girls video that day and pretended I was Posh Spice. I had posters (home made ones, even better) on my wall of Hanson. Oh how I miss 4th grade.