Monday, March 17, 2008

Sister Henson writes again-Who was praying for us?

OK, whoever just started praying for us, thank you and shame on you. You should have started long ago, because of your prayers, we are seeing miracles! ;) Just teasing, I give all the credit to the Lord. He has blessed us so much this week, it's been incredible.
I'll start with Trever, the tattoo guy. We went to teach him on Saturday and he had read Alma 7. He said his favorite verse was 20 because it made mention of a crooked path and he feels like he has been on a crooked path for too long. I had to smile because that morning, S. Moore and I had planned to set him for baptism using Matt 7:13-14, which talks about the strait gate and narrow path and 2 Nephi 31:17-18 which teaches us that the gate is baptism and the path is enduring to the end. We started to teach him about the path or plan that our Heavenly Father has for us and then I introduced the scriptures. After he finished reading 2 Nephi 31 he pauses and says, "That's weird that it talks about baptism, this last month I've been feeling like I need to be baptized but the Catholic Priest and all the other people I've talked to haven't been able to help me." I told him that we could help him to prepare for baptism. That it was a commitment to God but that we could help him to be ready, then I asked him to prepare for April 6th... he said yes! Can you imagine a better day to be baptized?! We are so excited!
We also met an amazing young man named Ryan Marquart. The Elders in the Benson area, Kinderman and Schulz, met him and told him about the singles ward and he seemed interested so they passed his information onto us. We had tried several times before to contact him but had been unsuccessful. I felt prompted one afternoon to call him and it turned out that he was driving around "being bored" he said. I asked if he'd like to meet someplace and we agreed to meet at a little restaurant called Panera Bread, it's kind of like Zupa's back home. Anyway, over bread bowls and in the midst of this packed restaurant, we taught him about the Restoration of the Gospel. Not the most ideal location but I'll teach wherever I can. The Lord made up for it and the Spirit was so strong. By the end of the First Vision he was smiling. He was just eating it up! He asked how he could learn more, we smiled and told him we could arrange something... wink. ha! He loved the Book of Mormon and was so excited to read it. He's coming to the wards FHE activity tonight. He's just graduated high school last year so I imagine he's 18 or 19. His heart is so pure and kind, he is just the neatest kid.
We also met some other really great people this week, the Lord has been blessing us so much as we've done our best to prepare for this great goal. Mom, you wrote about how the Lord is so aware of even the small things. This goal that we've set, for the mission, for our area, is way beyond our abilities. Not only is the Lord providing and making up for our inadequacies, but he's also building my faith to achieve it. He is so merciful. When we set goals of a righteous nature, the Lord helps us to fulfill them, when we seek His help. I've not let a single prayer go by without asking for help for the Mission of Excellence. With my limited abilities I do all that I can and I see, every moment, the Lord's hand. It's absolutely incredible. I can't believe how much I've seen and grown in the last 11 months.
Please continue with your prayers of faith. Thank you so much for your love and support. There is so much joy in the Gospel. I can't imagine anything more important than sharing it with others. If they were to even feel a portion of the blessings and joy it gives me, they would live it too. Thankfully, the Lord won't give them a portion, He will give them all the blessings that He can.
Love Sister Henson

0 comments: