Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sister Henson-Mission of Excellence Week!

The Mission of Excellence begins! I feel like I’ve been waiting for this day forever. We’ve already seen incredible miracles preparing for this and yesterday was an amazing start. Trever and his cousin, Justin, came to church yesterday and loved it. One of our members invited them over for Easter dinner and they had a great time there too. When we saw them at FHE last night we asked them about it. Justin said, “It was probably the best day I’ve had in years, I just felt so peaceful. I’ve been to other churches before and the pastors or whatever always acts so much better than everyone else. Here, everyone is equal, that’s how it’s supposed to be.” He’s been going through a lot in his life lately and is soaking up the spirit. He seems to be especially in tune with it. As we were talking to him, amidst the foosball, ping pong, and Richard Simmons video (long story) the Spirit told me to ask Justin to be baptized. It was quite a strange conversation, it went something like this: The Spirit and I…
“Justin needs to be baptized.”
“I know he does.”
“Ask him to be baptized.”
“But, we’re at FHE; this isn’t even an official lesson. I mean, we haven’t even said a prayer.”
“So…”
“Well, what should I say?”
“Just ask him.”
“Um, well, uh, ok.”
I turned to Justin…
“Hey Justin, you know that we’re helping Trever prepare to be baptized. Do you want to be baptized?”
“Yes, I do. But I’ll need more time to prepare than Trever.”
“That’s ok. We can help you get there. Will you prepare to be baptized on April 27th?”
“Yes, I will.”
We laughed almost the entire way home. I have learned my lesson; just do what the Spirit says, even if it doesn’t make sense in my limited understanding. Sometimes I remember that I’m still a dork. But I’m so excited for him. If I had to describe him, I would say that he looks like a little, hurt puppy who needs the healing power of the Atonement. I’ve seen a change in him already. We taught Trever and Justin the word of wisdom last week and they quit smoking on Sunday. It’s been amazing to see the Gospel work so quickly with both of them. It seems that the Lord is pouring out His blessings on them because their challenges will be more physical in nature (overcoming addiction.) The Lord is merciful.
We had a great Easter as well. We ate dinner with Bishop Dallon and his family, along with a couple members of the ward who are far from home. We also taught a guy named Freido from West Africa. As we sat down, he opened up his Book of Mormon and referred to all of the places he had highlighted and asked some great questions. He kept saying, “Yes, that makes sense.” He is very smart and logical. That is a challenge for me, obviously, not being a very logical thinker ;) I am learning to study the Gospel in that sense to be able to teach him. Thankfully, we have several law students in the ward that have been coming to each appointment. They can teach from the head, while I can only teach from the heart. I hope that my brain will catch up someday!
Sister Moore is doing great! We spent some time last week practicing teaching on members. I sat back and she taught most of the lesson. She is quickly gaining confidence and is on her way to boldness! She’s so cute. Last night when we came in for the night she said “I have no fear… I will go tracting… right now… by myself!” I laughed and laughed. I am so grateful that the Lord is blessing the area so much right now; it has been a great boost to our faith.
So again, thank you for your prayers. I feel much like Ammon in Alma 26. I feel almost invincible, but not in the worldly way. Like verses 11-13 “I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. Behold, how many thousands of our brethren has he loosed from the pains of hell; and they are brought to sing redeeming love, and this because of the power of his word which is in us, therefore have we not great reason to rejoice?” One of the greatest blessings of all these miracles, selfishly, is the changes I have seen in myself. I thought the other day that Meagan would never have been able to do this, but Sister Henson can. I’ve grown so much, come so much further than I thought possible. And all because of the Lord. When we put our trust in Him, he can work mighty miracles within us. That’s how I know that this Gospel is true. Nothing but truth, straight from God himself, could change me and lead me to do something like this. Only truth moved thousands of pioneers to emigrate from their homes to the deserts of the Great Salt Lake. Only truth is worth dying for, living for, and working for.
I love you! Don’t forget to pray!
Love, Sister Henson

0 comments: