Sunday, August 28, 2011

big pills are harder to swallow

my husband cares about decorating. this came as a shock to me when i realized it. my experience with the typical married man is that they only care about sports and steak yet I have never been to a steakhouse or watched a single sporting event with my tyler. these things are his choice, really, i did not sway him one bit. ty's idea of fun is talking, watching Ancient Aliens and going to Border's to look at art magazines. sometimes he even has the nerve to tell me what i'm wearing doesn't "go together". i'm being cute and eclectic, leave me alone!

continuing along those eclectic lines, i love buying random crap for my house. buying a house was a really bad idea. it gave me the freedom to buy crap for more than one room. tyler has strong opinions on how the house should look and what "feel" it should have. up until this point i have completely ignored him. big mistake. in my attempt to my the house feel like home, i just embarrassed myself. apparently green, blown glass buddah heads don't go with just anything. how many sets of curtains and cans of paint does someone really need? the old me would say, "the more the merrier!" well she was an idiot.

some might call me an impulsive shopper but used to think I was being spontaneous and fun.
after a year and a half of being spontaneous and fun at garage sales, Hobby Lobby's 60% off section, dollar store, KSL and generous family member's houses, it's time i admit that my house is disorienting and confusing at best.

it kind of felt good to admit this. now comes the fun part of purging. the one thing i like more than buying crap is throwing crap(or sometimes crucial papers) away.

everything goes!

it's down to bare bones.

this is going to be weird.

this also means that i have agreed to let tyler have a say in what happens in the nursery. no more saying, "you shouldn't even care, you're a boy".

changing is hard.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

You are totally describing Rick. Especially this part - "ty's idea of fun is talking, watching Ancient Aliens and going to Border's to look at art magazines"

One time I was being an awesome wife and was like "You get to pick the movie tonight!" and I went and made popcorn for us and came back and he had picked Ancient Aliens and I learned all about how when Moses wondered in the desert for 40 years they ate Manna and scientists think that a Manna machine came from heaven and it was this giant machine that they carried with them all around the desert, apparently.

Also I'm not allowed to hang any of the pictures in our house. That's Rick's territory.

Anonymous said...

Are you having a garage sale? Cause I'm there.

The Kessler's said...

I forgot we had this decorating husband issue in common. I still haven't given up yet. And I highly recomment a yard sale. I made sixty bucks at mine, and everything I sold was crap. Who buys old pillows with drool spots on them?

Chelsea Lynn said...

I HATE ancient aliens.. Mike insists on watching it every week it comes on, and then gets mad when I dont pay attention.. I should "learn something new" and if you do plan on getting rid of some things, lets swap! I have a more baby clothes! :)