Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sister Henson-Here comes Winter!

Hello family!

So, Nebraska only rains on Monday. It’s another seemingly gloomy day here, but the work is going so well, the weather has lost its effect. Despite the cold, the Spirit is warming (cheesy!) But really, I can’t believe how the Lord has blessed us.
Let me tell you about my favorite Grote family. We taught the oldest kids, Bailey, Robert and Alexa the Plan of Salvation on Tuesday and it went really great. They asked the perfect questions that helped us know that they really understood it. It was almost a textbook MTC lesson. However, we were still trying to find a way to connect with Bailey; everything seemed to hinge on her. The Lord provided the opportunity to build trust and friendship in an unusual way. She had her homecoming dance this weekend and Sister Smith offered to do her hair in an up-do and I offered to do her make-up. She seemed really excited but was still trying to act cool and casual about it. After we got her all dolled up for the dance, she was just beaming! She couldn’t stop thanking us. When the family came to church yesterday, she seemed so much more relaxed. She started to make friends with and talk to the girls in the ward. Ben was ordained to the office of a Priest as well and the family went in to watch. Bailey said it was “really cool.” He is now ready to baptize the family. We are going to teach the kids about the Gospel of Jesus Christ tomorrow night and invite them to set a date! They are so ready. When Sister Smith was doing Bailey’s hair, I talked with the parents. I was asking them questions about why Shellaine wouldn’t let Ben keep going to church when they first got married. (Remember, he had been baptized just before they got married.) She said that she thinks that God had to prepare her a little better so that she would be able to recognize all the good things about this Church and the truth it taught. I found it incredible that she was able to see that herself. I’m humbled that the Lord has allowed me to teach them.
Joelle is also doing so well. She has lived a hard life and is still trying to overcome the consequences of some past decisions. She is so strong, independent and is building a great faith in the Lord. She is so quick to recognize the blessings that Heavenly Father is giving her and she knows that He is confirming to her that what she is doing is right. It has strengthened my testimony of keeping the commandments because Heavenly Father is so quick to bless her. She came to all three hours of church yesterday and was just enveloped by the amazing Relief Society Sisters in the ward. I love Papillion.
Vicki had a scary week but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. She has been working on quitting smoking and she prayed last week that God would give her a desire to quit. Well, He did. She started having really bad chest pains and after a couple of days, she finally went to the doctor and they found that she has been experiencing a series of small heart attacks. One of her arteries was 100% blocked. They cleared it out and left a couple of stints (sp?). They told her that she has to quit smoking and she now has a desire to! I know, be careful what you pray for right?!
We took the Empey family to the Trail Center on Friday and had a great time with them. Cheryl didn’t come. I think she is nervous about the changes that this is bringing to her family. She doesn’t seem ready to change. We’re praying that her heart will be softened. The kids are great though. Bryce is excited to come to Church next week. I love that the ten year old is the most progressing and is bringing his older siblings along. I think the other kids will come as well.
Sister Smith is doing great. I just love her. I took her tracting for the first time this last week and she did great. It’s always a really humbling experience and she handled it well. So many missionaries come out with the idea that all we do is tract. I am not that kind of missionary, there is a better way! Anyway, we are having a great time doing the work. I haven’t had this much fun with the work in a long time. She is heaven sent.
The Bishop told me yesterday that I couldn’t leave until they found another Sister Henson to replace me, because they replaced the last Sister Smith with another Sister Smith. So unless someone knows another Sister Henson, I might be here for a while. I’ve got to obey the direction given by my Priesthood leaders… sorry!
I’ve got to run again, thanks for your prayers and support. I love you!
Love, Sister Henson

0 comments: