Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sister Henson-Extending 1 more year!

Hello family!

It’s that time again, can you believe it?! So, another incredible week, of course.
I hope you don’t expect any less from Papillion.
Monday night the Hall family invited the Grote family to their home
for FHE, it was great. The Grote’s are like sponges, absorbing every
temporal and spiritual counsel given by the Church and it’s members.
I love it. The three oldest kids, who are baptismal age, are now really
involved with the lessons and are all reading out of the Book of Mormon.
The family came to visit us at the Trail Center on Saturday and had a
great time. They are progressing well. Shellaine, the Mom,went to
the Relief Society Broadcast and loved it. Since we were in the
Trail Center we couldn’t watch it with her. She went with some of the
Sisters inthe ward. Everything that was talked about was perfect for
her, many of you probably felt the same way, amazing how that works!
As you listen to the leaders of the Church, you can’t help but gain a
greater testimony that they are truly called of God. I just love Sister Beck,
she is such a powerful speaker, and so bold. But at the same time, you can
feel the love that she has for the Lord, and for the great women of this
Church. I want to be her when I grow up! Back to the Grote’s, they loved
Church as well. Elizabeth, 5, told her mom that she thought this was
“the best church we’ve ever gone to!” Their hearts are open so the Lord
has been able to prepare them to receive this beautiful gospel.
This week has also provided me with another opportunity to serve a
young single adult. We met Michelle, Marcus and Jeff towards the beginning
of the transfer. They live in the same apartment complex as Joelle. Jeff is
the one that told us he hadn’t been baptized and was excited when we told
him that it’s what we do, remember him? Well, we turned them over to the
singles ward Sisters and they began teaching them. Marcus and Michelle have
been together for like 5 years, and he didn’t seem very interested, so I was
a little worried about that. Well, last week, he broke up with Michelle and
kicked her out. They have been on and off for a while but this seems like
it will be the final one. I was worried about her so I called her and she
cried and cried to me on the phone. The more she told me about her relationship,
the more I was amazed. We all know I have not had the best of luck in dating,
and I was ableto relate to her really well. I was at that moment, grateful for
the trials Ihad gone through. That now I would be able to help one of my sisters
to find the healing power of the Atonement. I can’t imagine going through
something like that without the Gospel. It was the only way I was able to find
forgiveness and peace again. I have often seen during my mission how past
experiences have shaped me to be a specific instrument in the Lord’s hands.
We took Michelle to Church on Sunday at the singles ward. Luckily, that ward meets
at 9am, and ours at 2pm, so we could attend the entire block of meetings.
Yes, six hours of church, I loved it! (I have to say that, I’m a missionary,ha)
Also this week we had a two day blitz training in place of interviews.
It was incredible! We learned how to really fine tune our planning, studying,
and teaching skills. I told President that I wish they had done this transfers
ago;I will barely have time to repent and apply it all. Just when I think
thatI’ve got this whole missionary thing figured out, the Lord shows me a
new area to improve. He is good at keeping me humble, and that’s quite a job.
So,consider this my official announcement of extension. I will not be coming
home for another year! I also told President that they could only send me
home if they can find me. I’ll become like Alma in chapter 45:18-19 “And when
Sister Henson had done this she departed out of the land of Papillion,
as if to go into the land of Omaha. And it came to pass that she was never
heard of more; as to her death or burial we know not of. Behold, this we know,
that she was a righteous women and was lifted up by the Spirit, or buried by
the hand of the Lord, even as Moses.
But behold, the scriptures saith the Lord took Moses unto himself; and we
suppose that he has also received Sister Henson in the spirit, unto himself;
therefore,for this cause we know nothing concerning her death and burial.”
And it doesn’t sound like they really looked too hard for him. So, that’s my plan.
We’ll see how it goes.
Oh yes, I did want to update you on one more thing.
Do you remember Rui Cao and Hengwei Zong, the Chinese men that we were teaching
in Winter Quarters? Well, it turns out they were married, so they were turned
over to the Conestoga Branch. Anyway, they were baptized on Saturday! They will
be in the country for another five or six months and then they will be going
back to China. The Stake President, President Bartlett said that they will be
in constant, direct communication with the Area Authority for China to help them
when they getthere. They are already talking to them about receiving the
Melchizedek Priesthood. Talk about modern day pioneers! They will be able to
take thefullness of the Gospel back to China and prepare the way for missionaries
there someday! Amazing. Remember those names! This work continues to amaze me.
I am also running out of adjectives. The thesaurus on Microsoft word has some
other options, but they sound a little silly. Mind-blowing, astonishing, astounding,
pick your favorite. Either way,I’m sure you get the point. The Lord’s work is
so beyond me, it’s so beyond this life. I’ve probably heard Moses 1:39 about 15
times in the last week. There’s got to be more to this scripture that I currently
understand. But His work and His glory is our immortality and eternal life.
Being a small,small part of that work has brought me a small, small taste of the glory
He enjoys. The fullness of joy that He has and is trying to offer to all
those will accept and obey. I love this work! I'm so excited to hear from the Lords
chosen servants this weekend! I love to hear the words of modern day revelation
as it flows from the Prophet and Apostles! Enjoy it! Not everyone has it!

Love, Sister Henson

0 comments: