Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sister Henson-I'm a little bit country.

Greetings from the cornfields of Papillion!
Yes, that’s right, I got transferred. Do not mourn,
I love it here already! The members here are incredible!
I feel like they’re yoked up with us to do this great
and marvelous work. They are all on board and take
initiative. Amazing what happens when members are anxiously
engaged in the work. Papillionis just south of Omaha,
a little northeast of Gretna. So I’m back in the country,
but this time with a little more city.
They actually have more thantwo fast food restaurants,
which is all Gretna had! President Newman estimated that
around 30,000 people live in my new area. No pressure,
Sister Henson, they just all need the Gospel. We’ve already
met some great people and I’m excited to begin teaching
families again. It’s quite an adjustment, I’ll admit.
But teaching families at the Trail Center has helped a lot.
I amserving with Sister Smith. This was her original area
last transfer until her companion went home. I almost feel
like I’m opening an area because neitherof us really knows
the members, investigators or the area. Sister Smith was
only able to come here occasionally. Really just long
enough to keep in contact with the few investigators they had.
We will still be serving 2-3 shifts at the Trail Center but
I’m out of the trail center apartments and now in our own place.
That is also quite a change. So far, my favorite experience has
been teaching the Grote family. The husband is a member but must
have been baptized as a child because he doesn’t know a thing about
the Church. Their names are Ben and Shellaine and they have 7 kids!
Perfect right?! Sounds like a member family already! We reviewed
the Restoration with them and taught a lot about the Book of Mormon.
They wereasking great questions like, “So what is the difference
between the power ofthe Holy Ghost and the Gift of the Holy Ghost?”
and “How did the Book of Mormon help you when you were a teenager
growing up?” They are very open and already we have had several
families in the ward express a desire to have them taught in their
homes. I think one of the reasons the ward is so great is because
they are largely military families. They are used to moving and
having to put themselves out there to make friends. Because of this,
the ward is used to going up and greeting new people that they see at
Church. They are also very obedient and know that the Lord has
asked us to share the Gospel. Once you are obedient to a
commandment, you see the wisdom and joy of living it and you become
converted to it. That’s where these members are Sunday was a good day.
We walked into Gospel Principles class and there was a girl named
Cody there who had brought her sister Angel. Before class started
we all introduced ourselves and when Cody introduced her sister
she said, “and this is my sister, Angel. She’s just learning about
the Church but I’m trying to get her baptized, so, Sisters, you’ll
want to talk to her.” I about died! I’ve never heard a better introduction!
Needless to say, we set up a time to go teach her and we’ll definitely
help her to be baptized. Because the area has been largely
untouched for a couple of transfers, I feel like it’s really ripe.
Or white, I guess. The field is white, already to harvest…
Anyway, I’ve been praying that I would know the best way to find
people to teach. The night of transfers, I had a dream that Sister Smith
and I found a family at McDonalds. It was a big family that we
just started talking to while in line. I laughed about it when I
woke up and told my companion. Over the next day or so I kept thinking
about that dream. I became worried thatI was treating it lightly when
it could have been an answer to pray. But I don’t even like McDonalds.
How would I know when to go there to find this family? So, last night
I prayed that if that dream was a real means of communication,
that the Lord would make it very clear to us when we should go there.
We woke this morning and began our usual routine. During our personal
study, Sister Smith pipes up and says, “Oh, by the way, I had a dream
about McDonalds last night!” I then began to drill her for every piece
of information she could remember about the dream. She too, saw a family,
in line,and talked to them. She also saw that we were with a group of
missionaries. The only time we go to lunch with missionaries is after a
district meeting. So,sorry district, but now we have to go to lunch at
McDonalds every time we have a meeting! This is a sacrifice for me too,
because I don’t like it. But just get chicken nuggets and quit complaining!
Ha, isn’t that crazy?! I’ll let you know if we find them.
DeMon was baptized on Sunday. I wasn’t able to be there but I heard
it was a really neat experience. I’m happy for him. I hope I’ll be able
to go up and make it to all of the other baptisms we had scheduled for next
month. Actually, hopefully I’ll be too busy with my own that I won’t be able
to make them! Anyway, I’m excited to be out in the country again,
amid the beautiful corn and soy bean fields. I’m also getting a
chance to work on my tan as we are out finding. That’s what
missionary work is all about right? Getting a tan? Ha. I love this work!
Thanks for your prayers, please pray for the area.
Love, Sister Henson

0 comments: