Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Courtney in the kitchen?


So who knew that I would find a like for baking?? I don't know how it got started, but it was just in the past few weeks. I have never been good at it, seriously just ask my mom. My chocolate chip cookies usually turned out looking like dinner biscuits. I have been married now for about a year and 4 months and I STILL have not made a full, sit down, made from scratch dinner. Gasp, I know. That is unheard of here in Provo. But I own it. Tyler is the cook in our family and he is great at making up his own recipes and keeping us from starving.
It's not that I don't try, I really do. I come home with the intentions of running right into the kitchen, throwing on an apron and making a fabulous meal every night..but then I walk into the kitchen, open the pantry doors, look around, walk over to the fridge and realize that I have no idea what I'm doing. My idea of dinner is a slice of cheese and some Crystal Light. To actually put ingredients together to make a full meal just baffles me.
But it's different when I bake something. I actually get excited to see if my concoction of different things will turn into some edible.
So with my first attempt I started with a simple loaf of Banana Bread. It was incredible. Heavy, moist and the perfect mix of that salty buttery taste. In fact, it didn't even need butter. The best part of the whole thing was that Tyler tried to make the same exact thing the next week, same recipe and everything. It turned out..not so perfect. Pretty dry and a doughy section throughout the whole loaf. That boosted my ego just a little. The next day I made it again, and of course, perfection.
So now I am moving onto a multi-layer cake. Citrus Poppy seed Cake. I can't freakin wait.

5 comments:

Hannah S said...

Good job! Tyler is the cook in my house too. Not that he does it very often, about once a week, but he'd prefer if he's a better cook than I. That cake sounds delicious!

Kim said...

Hey Courtney it's Kim (Williamson) Bullock. I thought I'd better tell you hi and let you know I totally read you blog and finally thought I should let her know :) THanks for keeping us up to date on Meg! And your chef! I really can't bake for the life of me... the oven burns everything :)

maggie-t said...

i'm glad you like to cook! Your post kept me laughing! It was so cute: )

Jodi said...

You make a mother proud...now if you'd just share...:)

Kjell Crowe said...

Hey this is Kjell Crowe from your ward! Just thought I stop off and say hi! I love looking at other peoples blogs so it was fun to come across yours!
See ya at church!