Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sister Henso-Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day everyone!
We had a nice little service this morning at the Trail Center (and by little, I mean about 500 hundred people). It was an Omaha Stake Memorial Day Pancake Breakfast! It started off over at the cemetery and was really nice. We then took Will shopping for Church clothes to get ready for his baptism on Thursday! He was so funny, he was nervous about picking out something tacky so he made me pick everything out. We took a member with us, Keith Scott, who is very fashion forward, and he helped a lot too. He is stylin’ now! I love spending other people’s money! See, missionary work brings so much joy, in all different ways ;) The ward also had a BBQ tonight and we had a great turnout from members and investigators. Anna Willis is progressing well; she was there and is getting ready for baptism this Saturday. Oh yeah, Justin was not able to get baptized last weekend. Smoking was getting the best of him, but the Lord provided a way for him to quit and he has been clean for 4 days now! He will get baptized with Anna on Saturday if he continues this way. The members felt so bad that he couldn't be baptized last week on Friday, which was also his birthday, so they threw him a surprise party! We were able to make an appearance and Justin was just glowing. You could tell that it meant so much to him. I'm sure he'll be ready for this Saturday. I’ve never had three baptisms in one week before. It is going to be an emotional week with that and the possibility of transfers. I’ve never been so anxious about them before. It’s not that I don’t trust that I’ll be where the Lord wants me to be, it’s just that I really am NOT ready to leave. I’ve seen the members, our investigators and recent converts progress so much, I can’t leave them now. There is still so much to do here. A couple of the members came up to me tonight to say goodbye just in case, and I almost started to cry. No one told me when I signed up for this that I would be shedding so many tears. The emotional part of the mission has definitely been the hardest part.
Everyone else is doing so great. The Trail Center is getting really busy. The month of May brought in hundreds of 3rd graders who had been learning about the Omaha history; which consists of the Mormon Pioneers and the Omaha Indians. It’s been a challenge to “herd” these kids through and not teach them the Gospel. We have to cut out all religion, obviously, and it’s quite a trick. But we always invite them to bring their families back so hopefully we’ll get the chance then. This last week alone we’ve had over 600 students through. It’s made for interesting but long days. A full day at the Trail Center is much harder on your body than a full day out proselyting. I’ve had a permanently horse voice for the past month. I do love it when it gets busy though. It’s a great opportunity to see the Spirit work when you have a shortened time to help strengthen someone’s testimony.
I’ve been thinking a lot about today being Memorial Day. What things are we suppose to remember? I asked myself that question and the first thing that came to my mind was our baptismal covenants. We promise or covenant to remember Jesus Christ. How well do we keep that part of the promise? It’s easy to track how well we’re keeping the commandments by simply evaluating our lives. But how do we track and measure how well we are remembering Christ? I’ve made an increased effort today to remember Him. I took the time that we spent traveling to just ponder on the Atonement and I was amazed by the things that the Spirit was able to teach me. It wasn’t much new information, but simply a different perspective. By remembering Him and thinking of new ways to apply the Atonement, I was able to draw closer to Him. This in turn will help me to better keep the commandments. Amazing how that works huh?! I love this Gospel.
I’m sorry that I’ve got to cut this email short. We have run out of time again today. Tune in next week to see where Sister Henson goes and how the baptisms went! Until then, pray for me! I love you!

Sister Henson

0 comments: